Cambridge, MA, USA
David Thew & Company are retained consultants for this assignment.
Our client is Cell Press (a division of Elsevier), a leading publisher of cutting-edge biomedical research and reviews. Through the publication of more than 30 journals, Cell Press leads in the innovative presentation of exciting scientific discoveries, focusing on delivering highly valued research that drives scientific discovery, spanning a wide range of scientific disciplines.
To expand its commitment to promoting the cross-pollination of ideas beyond the life sciences, Cell Press will be launching a premier, broad-interest, high-impact journal serving researchers in the field of energy.
This journal will publish the most exciting and significant advances in all areas of energy research, including science, technology, socioeconomic impact, and sustainability. Its strong contribution to the field will complement both the new premium chemistry journal from Cell Press, Chem, and the broader Elsevier energy portfolio. Like Chem, the overall strategic vision for this new journal includes alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Cell Press is now looking to hire a visionary, insightful Editor-in-Chief to lead this initiative. The new EIC will have the exciting opportunity to shape a prominent journal in a vibrant field of research and lead its editorial team according to his or her creative vision.
As a respected member of the energy research community, the Editor-in-Chief will create a high-impact journal grounded in a strong understanding of the field and the needs of authors, readers, and reviewers and a vision for providing sustained value in the changing world of science and publishing.
The EIC will be expected to:
- Develop a vision and strategic plan for the launch and success of the new launch as a venue for the best work across the entire field.
- Collaborate closely with authors in the selection and focus of editorial content.
- Oversee peer review, revision and acceptance of articles published in the journal.
- Recruit high-quality papers for submission and publication in line with the journal’s strategic goals.
- Hire, train, and mentor the journal’s in-house editorial team.
- Build a strong network of external contacts to ensure prominence in the community
- Appoint and liaise with an international advisory editorial board to guide development of the journal.
- Interact with internal colleagues in production, marketing, and business development and contribute to the overall publishing strategy of the journal and Cell Press as a whole.
- Travel extensively to attend conferences and visit research institutions.
You will have:
- A strong research background and broad scientific interests.
- Dedication to serving the scientific community, enthusiasm for communicating science to a broad readership, and the ability to lead an editorial team.
- A doctoral degree and post-doctoral work in relevant areas. (Interested applicants with current academic appointments and energy researchers, who currently work in industry but are seeking new challenges in an editorial/publishing role, are also encouraged to apply)
- Editorial and/or management experience
- A high degree of scientific interest and curiosity.
- The ability to think conceptually and critically about a wide range of scientific issues.
- Strong communication skills, leadership ability, and a penchant for teamwork.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to bring/build a broad network of contacts, domestically and internationally.
NB: This is a US-baaed role, but Cell Press are keen to talk to potential candidates from outside the US who have relevant experience and who would be prepared to relocate (assistance with relocation would be provided where required).
For further information or to apply, please send a full and current cv togehter with a full covering letter to Larry Eidelberg in the US at email@example.com or David Thew outside the US at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on +44 (0) 7792 399320.